Tuesday 16 October 2007

The Busan Chronicles Part I

Hello my dear reader, never did expect me to finally update did you? No no...its alright, there's no need to apologise for lacking faith in me. I thought I would never get to update either. So yes, no need to feel guilty. Just buy me some chocolates next time you see me ya?

Just to keep you guys informed, I went to Busan last weekend from Friday morning to Sunday 11pm. Shortly after, I had mid term exams for many of my subjects in the past week...so thats why I am updating only now. That, and my tendency to play DOTA.

Alright so enough of my excuses, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: The Busan Chronicles Part I!

*Warning! Biggest ever number of pictures in a single entry! 39!*



Mandy, Linda, Winston, Crystal and Maggies after we alighted from the Subway "Seoul Station"

The view outside the Railway "Seoul Station". Nothing extraordinary. I thought this picture may add to the extra bandwidth, and cause untold suffering on my faithful readers with constricted bandwidth.

Still a view outside the station. BUT this picture actually has a point. If you would squint your eyes hard enough on the top of that beautiful building, you would notice it has a Yonsei Logo on it. Apparently Yonsei University is just part of a large corporation and this building is some sort of a company headquarters.

Artistic/ Slightly shaky photo of the day. Look at that.

The view inside Seoul Station. It looks like an airport, has some shops and fastfood chains. Very big and spacious, very modern. It must have cost alot to build this place...because they couldn't afford to hire someone to check the tickets. Anyone could have boarded the train. Anyone. Even that shifty looking terrorist strapped from top to bottom in dynamite. Oooh the horrors....
Couple clothings in Korea is very popular. Most of the time you get to see couples decked out in utterly obiang looking clothes so no one has the chance to resemble them. Its quite a good logic too. Imagine you and your partner are walking down crowded Seoul in a plain looking couple T-shirt. What happens if you lose sight of your partner and mistakenly grabs hold of another girl with the same shirt? What happens if you grab hold of ANOTHER GUY with the same shirt?

Think about it.

For couple clothes. The gaudier the better.

The KTX train. Quite a pleasant train, modern and clean. I had no other impression of it because I started eating my Macdonalds breakfast before it moved and fell asleep for 3hrs as soon as it left the station.

And when I woke up, we were are Busan Station. See the 6 grannies at the bottom right of the picture? They were protesting. Its a national past time here. Everyone wears some sort of sash and stand in a prominent place to protest. Age is no barrier. Apparently, neither is the amount of protesters.


Walked a bit, took the subway a bit. And lo and behold, our new home for the night.


The magnificent view from our new home. Its so beautiful, diamonds pale in comparison. Lol.


A slightly more eye appealing picture. The Girl's bedroom.


The living room. We were sort of living in a HDB apartment type of guesthouse and we had the whole house to ourselves except for this strange looking east european woman who we immediately ignored. I thought she looked like a witch.


Then we took the subway a bit more and was shocked to find out that in Busan, the subways and stations were almost empty most of the time. In parts of Busan, you couldn't even see people under the age of 40.

Anyway that cute little dog (all stray dogs in korea are cute) was resting it arse on a cabbage when we arrived at a town market. It looked like it was trying to hatch the cabbage and no one around me thought that was strange. I thought it was strange.

Judging by the look on the dog's face, he didn't agree with me.


The town market where no one under 40 years old roamed. We stuck out like sore thumbs.


Ironically in that old folk town, there was a huge advertisement plastered on the wall for plastic surgery. This kinda stretches it a little...plastic surgery is one thing. Reverse ageing is another.

My daily ice cream. And first in Busan. Its a vanilla ice cream sandwiched between soft bread shaped like a fish. Cost about 800won and taste great. I highly recommend it although most of you wun be able to eat it. Ice cream products here go by seasons, every few weeks they change the entire selection of ice creams so people like me will never get bored.


Busan International Film Festival. I have yet to see this movie but I heard its good. So here I am, shameless advertising a film out of nationalistic pride.

The Beach in Busan. The natural sand is soft but the weather was slightly autumny. It gave a slightly depressed mood to the atmosphere.


A bunch of girls making sand things. None of them looked hot but their sand pictures were pretty good. One group of them even sculpted a 3D frog statue that resembled a fat buddha. If thats not a useful life skill I dunno what is.

We boarded a ferry that took us on a 1.5hr boat trip to a nearby lighthouse for about 6k won? When the boat was moving, you could throw snacks off the back of it and seagulls would snap them up. There was a huge flock of them trailing in vessel in no time and you could even reach up to grab one if its near you.

Me. On a boat.
A lighthouse.
Our boat. Oh god. I feel so tired of blogging now. WHY DID I UPLOAD SO MANY PHOTOS. WHY!? I AM SO TIRED. NOOOO BUT I MUST PERSEVERE! I MUST PERSEVERE!

Next up! We ate Pig organ broth! It was an interesting experience! I loved the liver and the heart! But I hated its stomach! All of you should try it! It is expensive and not very filling! We ate Macdonalds after that!

Busan resembled Singapore....they were HDBs everywhere. Just look at this picture. It reminds me of Choa Chu Kang


More shots of pseudo Singapore. It was here that I sat down and felt a tinge of homesickness. Tears welled up in my dry eyes and I missed the hot humid place I call home.

I think the others were quite surprised with my sudden break down lol.

We tried to enter the Closing Ceremony of the Busan Film Festival but it was guarded by many professional looking body guards in black suits and wore sunglasses-at night. They also had this nifty looking ear piece and walking talkie concealed at the collars of their jackey. Woooooooow.

Unfortunately for one of them, I asked to use the toilet and he had to follow me to the Gents where I secretly laughed at his mundane job while I gave a woosh of pee.

Penguins with sunglasses. All flash and no substance.

Oh yah, the picture. Fireworks! This one is orange.

This one is green.

This is blue
This is red!

This is whitey, greeny with some sparkle. I would call this one shiny.

We have been to the Busan Film Festival! (Technically we haven actually went it. Who cares about technicalities anyway. They are so boring)

You would expect a crowd in the subway station. It was only 9pm. In Seoul, people would be charging you down for not moving and stampeding over your lifeless corpse.

We went to another beach with a great nightview. Bought some alcohol and proceeded to drink ourselves silly. Or rather, I couldn't drink alcohol so the others drank themselves silly.


A Jazz Band busking beside the beach. From what I could see, it was made up of young and old folks and their jamming was good. Very good in fact. They gathered a sizeable crowd who donated lots.

I believe Music should be free.

Beachview! At night!

Winston, Crystal and I bought some fireworks to play. More and better pictures were in Crystal's camera...but I will come to that soon...

We boarded the subway and sat down. At that time a young man was sitting beside the very drunk crystal who was happily slurring in her speech. She placed her camera beside her and that man took it, left at a stop, completely unnoticed by the 10 of us. This picture is of Liwei and Crystal happily unaware of her stolen camera.

I don't think Winston was sober.

So what happens when a camera gets stolen? WE WENT TO THE POLICE! YAY! How exciting can this get eh? Funny thing is, 10 young students walk into a police station. They can't speak Korean, and the policeman can't speak english. To even compound the extremely hilarious situation (to me, not to poor Crystal), half of them were very drunk. I dun think they took us seriously when we told them a camera got stolen.

Come on, imagine.

Imagine you were the policeman. A group of merrily drunk foreign students come to you trying to explain of a crime. Lol. Funny. Anyway he really did helped us and even sent crystal, liwei and gary to a police post who could document the crime.


We didn't recover the camera in the end. So I'm gonna end part 1 with this nicely concealed erotic picture hanged on the subway walls. For those of you who can't read whats in the white heart on the left, it says "Only love".

Korea is awesome.











No comments: